Pump Monitoring Proof of Concept
Sensors can be fitted to industrial pumps to monitor a number of environmental and operating conditions that detect machine status, enable preventative maintenance, and predict machine failure in the field. Before getting started, pump manufacturers use a proof of concept (POC) to test assumptions and prove design feasibility, ensuring they get to market with the right connected product offering.
Creating a connected-pump POC can be a challenge for a number of reasons:
- Traditional approaches to pump-based POCs require significant investment of time and money—sometimes upwards of 9-18 months and hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- Because of the significant investment required, gaining internal buy-in for a POC can be challenging, especially without having a physical example that explains the vision and value.
- Most POCs are only used as prototypes that are eventually discarded, requiring significant investment in design decisions and code that rarely live beyond the POC.
Exosite’s ExoSense® condition monitoring application solves these challenges by providing features that dramatically reduce the time and cost of creating pump-based POCs. Pre-configured data schemas quickly get pumps communicating with the cloud, and a web-based device management UI makes it easy to check individual pump connection status, see errors and data logs, and troubleshoot throughout the POC development process. A dashboard builder offers drag-and-drop data visualization options, so stakeholders can quickly see the flow of data (e.g., electrical current, vibration, and temperature) and experiment with the value it can offer. Finally, Exosite’s device templates and user roles provide starting points that can accommodate any business hierarchy in a way that is efficient and extensible to future iterations of the solution.
ExoSense provides the following features that are purpose-built for pump-based POC use cases:
- Data schemas with pre-configured inputs and outputs
- Customizable dashboard builder for rapid data visualization
- Web-based UIs for simplified device management
- Asset and device templates
- Customizable user roles and permissions
- Support for off-the-shelf partner hardware, as well as custom hardware options
Organizations leveraging ExoSense for pump-based POC use cases have been able to:
- Quickly develop a solution in 4-6 weeks that generates internal buy-in and can also be used to support tradeshows, internal training, and customer demos.
- De-risk connected product development by testing technical feasibility and validating design decisions with minimal investment.
- Complete exploratory testing about the value of different types of sensor data.
- Invest in a POC that provides immediate value and can be built on for future iterations.